Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Nab the Culprit: Missing Golden Chariot from "Oxus treasure"

Image via: British Museum


Plot: The Golden Chariot from the "Oxus Treasure" collection has been stolen from the British Museum. The inspector looks at the profile of all the staff and regular visitors present at the time of the incident and asks them a few questions. It is from this interrogative session that the real culprit gets nabbed.

Characters

Male roles: 5

Female roles = 2

Time: 15 minutes [As estimated]

Style: A Detective Plot.

Time & Scene: Moring 9 am 18th of Nov. 2019. The inside of the Blue Hall of the British Museum, where the gold model chariot was found missing. It was displayed along with all the other 170 exhibits collected from River Oxus, Tajikistan, from 1876 to 1880.


People present in the Blue Hall of the British Museum:

1 Night Guard (Male)

1 Front Desk Receptionist, Miss Florence (Female)

1 The Guide, Ms De’Souza (Female)

1 The Care-taker (Male)

1 Curator (Male)

1 Police Inspector Rodrick (Male)

1 Police Assistant (Male)

 
Image via: Margaret Coad

As the Police Inspector, enters the premises of the British Museum and enters the Blue Hall, he could well sense the tense atmosphere. The Curator was sitting on a chair with his right hand on his forehead. As soon as the Police Inspector with his Assistant enters the Blue Hall, the Curator stands up and greets him.

Curator: I am so pleased to see you, Inspector Rodrick.

Inspector Rodrick: The pleasure is all mine. This is my associate, Mr. Sam.

Curator: Glad to have you here.

Inspector Rodrick: So, who reported about the missing Golden Chariot from the "Oxus treasure" collection?

Curator: Our night guard did.

Inspector Rodrick: Okay.

 

Inspector Rodrick: You are the Night Guard?

Night Guard: Yes Sir.

Inspector Rodrick: When did you discover that the Golden Chariot from the "Oxus treasure" collection is missing?

Night Guard: Today morning, when I went into the office to sign out of my duty hours.

Inspector Rodrick: What is your duty hour?

Night Guard: It was from yesterday 8 am to today 8 am.

Inspector Rodrick: You are working for 24 hrs?

Night Guard: Yes. Usually, it is 12 hrs duty on shift. But since my partner is not keeping well, I tried to cover his hours too.

Inspector Rodrick: So, was it there when you signed in yesterday?

Night Guard: Yes, it was there. I can show you the footage from the Surveillance cameras. However, as we checked the same this morning, we discovered that it was not working since 3 pm, yesterday.

Inspector Rodrick: Alright. So, could you tell me who were the people who attended the museum after 3 pm?

Night Guard: Yes. Since it was Sunday, there were no visitors. It’s only the Guide, who came around 4 pm, and the Caretaker was here by 6 pm.

Inspector Rodrick: Alright anyone else was there?

Night Guard: Yes, the Front Desk Receptionist was here from 9 am to 5 pm. 

Curator: It is a shame. The Golden Chariot was one of the rarest antiques in the world and it’s worth millions. 

Police Assistant: Do not worry, we will get it back to the museum.

Curator: Yes, I am counting a lot on you.

 

Inspector Rodrick: So, Miss…

Front Desk Receptionist: Miss Florence.

Inspector Rodrick: Yes, Miss Florence, may I know why you were here, when it was a Sunday, and the museum is officially closed?

Miss Florence: I was here to finish some of the pending official works.

Inspector Rodrick: And may I know what that might be?

Miss Florence: Yes.

[Miss Florence shows some balance sheets to the Inspector as proof of her pending official works].

Inspector Rodrick: Hmm.. hm. I must say you are a very dedicated employee. The institution must be very proud of you.

Curator: Yes, Inspector. Miss Florence is working here for the last 2 years and is very efficient. She is a very sincere and hard-working person.

Miss Florence: It’s my duty, Sir.

Inspector Rodrick: You are correct. We should be dedicated to our duties.

Miss Florence: I second you.

 

Inspector Rodrick: Okay, Miss…?

The Guide: Ms. De’Souza.

Inspector Rodrick: Yes, Ms De’Souza, may I know your job profile?

Ms De’Souza: Yes, Sir. I am responsible for making the guests aware of all the exhibits that are displayed in this museum.

Inspector Rodrick: May I know your qualification?

Ms. De’Souza: I have Masters in Metallurgy and currently I am pursuing my Research work on the recoverability of archaeometallurgical reminiscent, under the Institute of Archaeology, Oxford University.

Inspector Rodrick: Wao, that’s impressive. However, when it comes to this particular heist, I feel that there is a direct connection between your profession and educational purposes.

Ms. De’Souza: What do you mean?

Inspector Rodrick: I mean that your subject of research is so closely related to this heist that it gives a direct motive to you.

Curator: Inspector, Ms. De’Souza is a highly respected staff of this museum and…

Police Assistant: We completely understand that but it would be great if you all cooperate.

Inspector Rodrick: So, Ms De’Souza, would you kindly clarify why you were here when it was a holiday and there is no visitor to guide?

Ms De’Souza: I came here to collect some of my research papers that I left here on Saturday evening.

Police Assistant: So, did you get all your papers?

Ms. De’Souza: Yes.

Police Assistant: Very well.

 

Inspector Rodrick: So, you are the Caretaker of this prestigious museum?

The Care-taker: Yes Sir and I am very proud of my job. I am working here for the last 15 years.

Inspector Rodrick: Great. So, you know almost everything about all the exhibits.

The Care-taker: Most of them. I am a technician and I am not well-versed in these antiques.

Inspector Rodrick: Yes, and you know well about fixing the Surveillance camera?

The Care-taker: Yes, but I have nothing to do with that since I came here yesterday to fix the lighting system of the Blue Hall.

Inspector Rodrick: And also the bug in the room?

The Care-taker: I don’t understand what you are saying.

Police Assistant: To make the point clear, do you have any idea about who must have taken away the Golden Chariot? We are giving you a chance to confess and that will make your trials comfortable.

The Care-taker: I have no idea, Sir. I just came to fix the lighting system of the Blue Hall.

Police Assistant: But it was Sunday, and weren’t you off your duty?

The Care-taker: Yes, but most of the maintenance works are done on Sundays when the museum remains closed to visitors.

Inspector Rodrick: Alright, I understand.

 

Curator: So, what do you think? Who is part of this shameful heist?

Inspector Rodrick: It is difficult to say. By the way, where were you yesterday evening?

Curator: I was at the Town Club with my friends.

Police Assistant: You must have some rich friends.

Curator: Yes Inspector. To be honest filthy rich. But why do you ask? Do you think I am a part of this … (gets restless)

Police Assistant: It is our job to investigate. Kindly understand and cooperate.

Curator: Yes, I can well understand. And yes my friends are very rich people.

Inspector Rodrick: Aren’t they interested in the antiques that you display in the museum?

Curator: Not all, but a few of them are.

Inspector Rodrick: Is there anyone in particular who must be interested in the exquisite Golden Chariot?

Curator: None. I hardly converse about museum exhibits with them.

Inspector Rodrick: Alright, I think I know who the culprit here is. It would be great if you confess it now, otherwise, you have to face long and tedious legal procedures.

Question for the Students-

Whom do you think is the culprit in this plot, and why?

 

Student 1: I think it is the Curator, who gets restless as he felt that he is being interrogated. Also, he has rich people in his friends’ circle who can offer him a good price for the Golden Chariot. 

Student 2: I feel it is the Nightguard, who can work for 24 hours. It’s not possible unless he has a better motive than just helping his friend.

Student 3: I think it is the Guide as she has all the knowledge about the Golden Chariot and can sell it to prospective buyers. Also, I don’t think any researcher will bring their study materials to the workplace unless there is a motive.

Student 4: The Guide is an Academician and I don’t think she will be in any interest to harm the reputation of this prestigious institution. I feel it is the Front Desk Receptionist, but then she showed the inspector the work that she accomplished the day before. It is hard to say.

Student 2: Yes, it is hard to say.

Student 1: Yes, indeed.

 

Solution:

The Culprit is the Front Desk Receptionist. She showed some balance sheets to the Inspector. In her job profile, she has nothing to do with balance sheets. Balance sheets are handled by the Accounts department, not by the Front Desk Receptionist. She is the recruit who joins the British Museum to grab some precious antiques. 

No comments: